AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Monday, July 11, 2011

Casablanca and golden oldies...

When people meet me they always think I am younger than what I am so when discussions of the old days come up often people don't think I know about older movies or music. I am however the tail end of what the media calls the baby boomers, children born to parents who experience the depression and World War II.

We are an interesting group because we have the best of both worlds. As kids we were introduced to classic movies such as Casablanca and Maltese Falcon and music such as Tommy Dorsey, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and the other crooners as they were called back in the day.

As teenagers some of us grew up with Elvis and if like me on the tail end you grew up with Michael Jackson and took it especially hard when he passed. He was our Frank Sinatra, our Elvis. I often joke that in my senior years I will be playing Michael Jackson music and watching television shows - instead of movies that remind me of the 1980's.

Golden oldies as they are called were named well. They are golden because they don't need a parent's approval to watch it. Back in what some folks call the old days movies were open to everyone. Young children could go and watch Jimmy Cagney and understand that when he played a criminal and he shot people he was arrested and went to jail. Although a movie the outcome is real.

Nowadays movies and television often portray the legal system as some kind of game where if you have the best defense strategy you can get away with any crime. Some would argue that we saw that this week with the Casey Anthony trial. I myself even wondered if I was watching real television or if her trial was a Law and Order episode. I sometimes wonder if I watch enough of those Law and Orders I could put together a good enough defense to basically get away with almost anything.

How about you? What do you think about the oldies and how they portray criminals and the justice system? Do you think things have changed in the movies and on television in such a way that it has changed the way our jury thinks, our defendents thing and our lawyers? Or have we just gotten smarter and learn the law better than the folks who came before us?

No comments:

Post a Comment