AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Sunday, April 10, 2011

What do you think of when you hear Easter?

When you hear the word "Easter" what do you think of? I was thinking this morning about Easter and wondering if the traditions of the holiday are still going strong or if they have changed over the years. I wonder what people nowadays think of when they hear the word "Easter"? I wonder if churches or faith groups still put the same emphasis on the celebration of the day and if families still use the day as a family dinner holiday bringing together everyone as they do at Christmas or Thanksgiving.


In the old days Easter was as big of a holiday as Christmas. Families would prepare special meals for Easter, they would go out to store and buy special outfit to wear to church and they would invite everyone over to the house for dinner. In general the television programs would be more biblical in nature so every year you could count on Cecil B. Demille's The Ten Commandments, the King of Kings or Jesus of Nazareth to be on some main channel like cbs or abc. The promos would start like a week before Easter alerting you that the Ten Commandments or The Robe would be on on X day at X time. Nowadays, I have no idea when or even if the movies will be on until the day of when I bring up the television guide and see it is on.

I remember not too long ago, store circulars would have get your Easter Outfit here on the covers but that too I can no longer find. I wonder if this tradition continues, do people still buy and Easter outfit to wear to church on that Sunday? Many churches today don't really care what you wear as long as you show up.

Easter candy, the Easter bunny and decorations. I drive through neighborhoods today and I really don't see decorations to indicate anything special is happening, at least not like Christmas. I wonder if people still buy Easter candy or if they are like me and take the opportunity to buy candy at this time of year because it is on sale like at hallloween. Does anyone still go out of his or her way to give a chocolate bunny?

I want to hear from you. What Easter traditions do you still participate in? Do you have a favorite memory about Easter or an outfit you wore? Why not take this opportunity to ask your grandparents what their favorite Easter memory is and tell us about it in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment