AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Friday, July 1, 2011

35 Years ago was Bicentennial where were you?

I don't know about you but time sure seems to be flying by. I realized today that it has been 35 years since the Bicentennial Celebration in 1976. 35 years. Do you remember where you were? How you celebrated our country being 200 years old? I remember it was extra special for us here in the Philadelphia area and there were many parades and other things. I was in grammar school at the time I think we probably had special school lessons and other classroom projects we could do to honor the country being 200 years old.

200 years old. That is not that old. You have to remember I just attended a birthday celebration for all the Centenarians in Delaware County who are 100 years old and over. I watched almost 50 people who were 100 or over celebrate their lives and their families. Think about that. This country is 235 years old and all of those Centenarians have lived at 100 or longer of those 235 years. That is amazing.

Then it made me think about 2076. My first thought was wow that is not that far away. It is 2011 and it is only 65 years from now. With people living to be 100 or longer this means that anyone who is 35 today could live 65 more years and live to be 100 in 2076. Think about that. If your child or grandchild was born in 1976 he or she has the potential to live to be 100 and celebrate the Tri-centennial.

Think about that this July 4th when you see anyone between 35 and about 43 years old. People have been known to live to 108!!! The person you are looking at could be here for the Tri-Centennial - what a story that will make!

No comments:

Post a Comment